Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Stewart's Landing Epic

Mary went off to do some shopping
While I prepared to go kayaking
And the sky above was absolutely blue



But our plans were changed abruptly
when a storm came in quite swiftly
soon after we had bid a fond adieu.

Her task was almost through
When the manager boo-hooed,
"Leave your carts, folks. 
We have been hit"

The man found it very frightening
to be the target of the lightning 
and he didn't want any further part of it.

Meanwhile, I heard the thunder rumble
saw the dark clouds in a jumble
and thought, 
“Maybe I should turn my boat around."


I paddled like the devil
atop the water level
and still dry, arrived upon the solid ground.

I sat on the porch of my chateau
enjoyed the crash and lightning show
and absolutely missed the urgent ringing phone



So Mary called the neighbors
and asked them for a favor
to make sure that I had made it safely home.

They arrived, knocked, and entered,
found no one and then departed
since I was soaping up, hidden in the shower.




Reporting back to Mary
they found it somewhat scary
that I might be a recent victim of wind power.

When I was fully dried
and the howling winds had died
And I was, post-shower, feeling really great

I’d heard the last of thunder
but I began to wonder
So I called to see why Mary was so late

Then I got the story
heard of lightning strikes and worry
And of kind concern for me, on this occasion,

So I called the folks next door
“Be very careful!” I implored,
“There have been nearby reports, of home invasion!"


Mist rising after the storm.


7 comments:

  1. Picks as usual are enjoyable. The Prose?? Not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Well of course the prose is sub-standard...it's epic poetry!" he said, prosaically.

      Delete
  2. I loved the Prose and the Pics and the story ---- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing beats a good thundersorm in the Andirondack Mountains. I can hear the thunder exploding overhead and echoing off of the peaks as you told your tail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and the ozone smell competing with that of the conifers...

      Delete
    2. Hey Rand, I missed the part about beer and puzzles the favorite Adirondack past-time on rainy days!


      Delete